Employees enjoy a variety of benefits, perks and a workplace striving for fairness
For the 12th straight year, NAIT has been named among Alberta’s top employers – this time in large part due to a focus on equity, diversity and inclusion.
“NAIT is a complex organization with a diverse community of students and staff, and we aspire to engage and support all people across our campuses to end discrimination and oppression,” says Melanie Rogers, vice-president external.
“The NAIT community has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to supporting each other."
“The NAIT community has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to supporting each other and ongoing equity, diversity and inclusion efforts, continually demonstrating the values of respect, accountability and collaboration.”
In the past year alone
- NAIT’s Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) launched several initiatives to engage and support people across the organization, and offered consulting services and EDI and intercultural workshops
- a self-identification initiative gave staff and students the option to add pronouns and chosen names to their NAIT profiles
- a safe spaces course was developed to help staff learn more about the topics, terminology and strategies for inclusion of LGBTQ2S+ communities
- the Pîkiskwetân (Let's Talk) Sharing Circle – a powerful series led by the polytechnic’s Nîsôhkamâtotân Centre – gathered staff and students to share truths and learn about Canada’s treatment of Indigenous peoples
- NAIT continued its commitment as a Pride at Work member and Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion employee partner
The award, which is given to just 75 employers across Alberta annually, also recognized employee benefits including
- family-friendly policies such as maternity leave top-up for new mothers, flexible work arrangements and discounted tuition rates for children of employees
- on-campus amenities including a variety of dining options and ample green space
- a defined benefit pension plan and other practical financial benefits, including discounted home and auto insurance
The focus on not just perks but inclusive practices reflects a belief shared by NAIT leadership that the institute will ultimately be strengthened by fostering a culture in which people can feel safe, respected and valued everyday.
“The people of our polytechnic community are the reason why NAIT continues to be a great place to work,” says Rogers.