Recipe: Michael Stadtlander's vegetable cake
- 1 leek (blanched)
- 1/2 butternut squash (thinly sliced)
- 2-3 mid-size red beets (thinly sliced)
- 1 small celeriac (thinly sliced)
- 2-3 medium-size Yukon Gold potatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1-2 large carrots (thinly sliced)
- 250 g (2 cups) 3 year aged cheddar (grated)
- Creamy onions (see recipe below)
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (fine chop)
- 1/4 bunch thyme (chopped)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cream
- Salt and nutmeg
Sweat onion and garlic in butter (do not brown). Add cream and thyme and cook down until the consistency of a glaze. Add salt and nutmeg to taste.
Line a 13-by-9-inch pan with parchment paper. Layer beets to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover beets with 30 ml (2 tbsp) of creamy onions, 50 g grated cheddar and salt to taste.
Repeat with a layer of leeks, squash, celeriac and carrots, spreading with creamy onions, cheese and salt after each layer. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 190 C (375 F) for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes. The vegetable cake is cooked when your knife pokes through without any resistance. Let stand before slicing. Makes 8-10 servings.